Thursday, October 4, 2012

Storms

Stormy Days

     I love storms.  Rainy days do not make me feel sad or depressed, quite the opposite.  Rainy days like today make me smile.  They give me a chance to relax, slow down, listen to old favorites and write a bit.  It is currently raining like mad and over the soothing sounds of Kathleen Edwards on my laptop I can hear thunder in the distance.  I can remember as a child of 7 or 8  I would hide under the kitchen table, talking to my cousin until a storm past.  Home alone and terrified the lights would go out, he would count with me on the phone as the time between the lightening and thunder grew closer together. I would close my eyes and squeeze them real tight so I would not eve see the flashes of lightening when it was right over us.  Then he would count with me again as the storm passed and the time grew farther apart.  He was never alone his mom or dad or sister was always there.  I guess it is easy to be brave when you have family.  
     As I got older the lights going out did not bother me anymore.  I actually preferred to read and write by candlelight.  It reminded me of a simpler time in life.  When storms passed I would open the windows and listen for the thunder and the fall of the rain.  I have the windows open now and it is a beautiful sound.  

No comments:

Post a Comment