Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Eye Contact

                                                           Eye Contact   

Someone said you drank to much
Someone said you danced in the streets
Someone said they new you
Someone cried your name

I walked past you more often then not
a "to go" gal 
a smile and a nod
Not tonight
Tonight I knew
That is what bothers me most

As a little girl I would tell what my family called tall tales. I told of exaggerated dreams they said.  A wild imagination on that one!  Only Grandma Jenny understood.  Yes I would go take a nap like a good little girl, but I did not sleep!  I could tell them what they talked about, what they ate and what they drank, but never left the room.  Grandma Jenny knew.  
I looked in your eyes tonight and froze with fear.  Why did't I stop you, I knew.
I could see death on you, like I could see the sun rise it was everywhere.
I could not smile and nod, I could not move. 
It was as strong as the night Grandma Jenny was having a heart attack.  I knew from hundreds of miles away.  I begged my family to call her , drive there, go save her, because I could not.
I knew the gun would come and my time would not end years before it happened I saw him, I saw me.
I knew dear cousin you tried to tell me to leave even though I stayed, I knew, you knew, he was bad news.
I see so much good everywhere 
The trees breathe, the leaves are alive
I see so many people with good intentions
I like to know
I like to see
I saved Grandma Jenny
I stopped many going down a bad path
Why was this time different

It was like you knew
     I hope your next life is easier...




No comments:

Post a Comment